Module 4 Task – embed Vimeo video

Vimeo is an ad-free source of videos to view, share, or download, and a storage platform to upload your own videos. The account is free and accommodates a number of video formats (converted online at upload), but limits uploads to 500mb/wk and 25gb/yr, which seems like quite a bit unless you’re planning to use it to share/store a lot of student-created videos, each of which could be 25-50mb for a 2-5 minute video!

DPR_19 My School Library from Mackin Educational Resources on Vimeo.

“My School Library” is a 1-minute excerpt of a longer (30-min) interview with author Matt de la Pena and illustrator Christian Robinson about their picture book, Last Stop on Market Street, winner of the Newbery Medal, the Caldecott Honor, and the Corette Scott King Honor. Creator of this video is Mackin Educational Resources, a major vendor of school library materials, and this video is one of many on their Vimeo channel. They allow the viewer to download the video, as well as share and add it to their own collections.

I decided to go ahead and join Vimeo with a Basic membership to have a platform for my self-created school library instructional videos in addition to YouTube, so my videos are available to librarians whose schools block YouTube. I uploaded 2 previously created videos: “How to Choose a Book” (also used for my ThingLink task) and “Sight-Site-Cite” which I decided to embed here in addition to the one above. I like that Vimeo includes the citation information as part of the embed code.

Sight-Site-Cite from barupa on Vimeo.

One of the things I like about Vimeo is the high quality of the video, the fact that there is no advertising—making this a better vehicle for school use than YouTube—and the ability to create a collection of other people’s videos as valuable additions to the lessons I will share.